Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pretty Little Things...

I love earrings...all types - but my favorite of all are french hook ones.

I am lucky enough to have a great friend who does wonderful earring work...I have even made a a pair or two myself...

Add into the fact that just about any local craft fair you go to there are usually a handful of crafters who do handmade jewelry at very reasonable prices...the last purchase I made from a craft fair was 3 pairs for $18...

But french hooks don't lend themselves to storing well...hard to just throw in with other earrings because the hooks grab on to everything...add in the fact that many of mine are long so they have a tendancy to get tangled.

In looking on the 'net I came across a variety of frames used to hang earrings...some had a mesh insert - others used a jersey like fabric - and others plastic canvas. I thought easy enough to make...so I decided to do just that on my Home Alone weekend...come along with me...

Grab a Frame or two - scour your house for an unused frame...or do as I did and hit up your local thrift store - my score below of two frames cost me a whopping $2.15 - 1.25 & .85 cents - one was empty and the other had a god awful picture of some flowers...one thing you do want to make sure of is that it has a ledge that the backing can sit on.


Then paint them up - I HIGHLY recommend to use some sort of spray primer - makes painting on paint a lot easier and far less coats needed


You will need some plastic needlepoint canvas - this can be found at just about any big craft or fabric store - they do come in various stiffness - I choose an Ultra Stiff plastic canvas - I bought a rather large piece (maybe 16x20) for under $2

I then cut a piece of canvas to fit the back of the frame...the frame above had no clips in the back to hold the canvas (many cheaper frames will have little "pins" that can be folded back and forth to remove the backing so you are able to replace the picture) so I had to use some Household epoxy glue to hold the canvas in.

Add some whimsy and hang it up...one of the things I made sure the frame I bought had was handging hardware already on - makes it so much easier...


I painted this one the same color as my bedroom wall - I didn't want it to be a big focal point and overshadow my earrings

I also did some fun stuff with what you see below...but that is a post for another day....

1 comment:

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

that is cute and super functional!