Friday, November 12, 2010

A Fat-Ass update…

I know it has been quite awhile since I blogged a lot…and I am sure one of you may be wondering what is happening to my ass…has it shrunk any?

Back in the beginning of the year I wrote a post about Baby Steps. - where in a nutshell I discussed about changing the way I eat rather than focusing on WHAT I am putting in my mouth…

So all these months have gone by and I really haven’t lost any weight…but rather than being upset or sad I am fine…I mean sure I would love to be 20 lbs less – I mean who wouldn’t…but I have made a big impact on what goes into my body and what I use my body for.

Do you know I haven’t had a soda since the middle of January…TEN MONTHS…not to say I have cut out caffeine – because I as addicted as ever to my morning coffee…but I was more concerned about all the other stuff that was in soda…all the things you can’t pronounce…

Now does that mean my family has given up soda…no – but they have drank significantly less this year – for one I rarely buy it so if it isn’t in the house it isn’t an option…on the occasions we do drive through and the girls have a choice of course they are going to choose soda – and I am fine with that as having a small soda a handful of times a month I am not going to sweat it…

As for other things – I have been eating far more natural, non processed items - things like pasta and bread – yes I will eat them but I try and make better choices – higher fiber, whole wheat pasta vs blanched white pasta – whole grain breads vs “enriched” white bread…even with all that I would say I might have had pasta once or twice a month (and mainly in soups) and breads 2-3 times a week (mainly in the form of a high fiber English muffin topped with two egg whites for breakfast - NOM NOM NOM)

Does that mean I don’t eat anything bad for me – ummm Hella No…life is life people and if I want that mini Almond Joy from the kids Halloween Candy stash – I am eating that sucker (I was very sad that they didn’t collect any York Peppermint Patties for me to steal) – but I am not also eating that 3 Musketeers, that 5th Ave. bar and the Butterfingers…

Another part of the equation is exercise…this past spring I learned I really enjoy kickboxing…so I bought 2 kick boxing DVD’s and had myself a grand old time…worked up a sweat, stretched some muscles…

THEN….a great gold glow showed up one day…a GOLDS GYM moved into town…about a 5 minute drive from my house – and best of all since it is an express gym the cost was only $9.99 a month…SIGN ME UP….

So since August I have been hitting up the gym 2-3 times per week…you would think I would see something on the scale move in a downward way – ummm nope…BUT there is a difference in my shape…and I have lots of energy to boot (don’t get me wrong – I still enjoy a lazy Sunday just sitting on the couch watching reruns of Teen Mom and What Not to Wear)…

The main thing is I want to be a role model for my daughters…I want them to see me making good choices for the bulk of my food choices…but not to sweat it if they have a piece of chocolate or a sweet treat every now and then… I tell them mommy isn’t on a diet – I personally think diet is a bad word…I tell them mommy is exercising and making good food choices so I am around for a long long time…

Sure when I am at the gym I look around and see someone who looks 20-30 lbs lighter than me and think “One day I would love to look like her” – is she all supermodel skinny…nope she is a mom – she has a pooch (albeit a smaller pooch than mine) – her calves are just as big as mine – she has the same dark circles under her eyes – the same small little wrinkles popping up…but overall is just a bit smaller…But then I think to myself as I look around and see women who are larger than me and I have to think to myself – out there there is someone who is looking at me saying “One day I would love to look like her”

So I embrace who I am, what my body dictates it wants to be…and I will just continue to try and make better eating choices and make sure my muscles get used for something other then sitting down and getting up from the couch….

No comments: