Friday, September 11, 2009

Coach Jenni? - Oh Hella NO

Back-story – in our household we are trying something new – TW is playing Fall softball this fall…PWG has chosen not to…since this is the first time I haven’t had the girls doing the same thing this is all sort of new for me…

So last night while listening to my voice messages I came across an interesting one…

“Hey Mrs. M this is Jay Diggs* - I am the manager for your daughters softball team. I have it down here that you are the coach so I wanted to get in touch and form a game plan.”

Ummm excuse me – what the heck did you say…me coach??

I was a little confusing seeing as I had received a call 2 days earlier from “Coach Ed” informing me that TW would be on his team and practice starts this Sat at 8am…ok all well and good for us…

So of course I immediately called Mr. Diggs to straighten everything out…turns out they added another team to the roster and moved TW to that team – Team Cardinal – and somehow my name was attached as the coach…

WTH – so I did my best to keep my cool and explained to Mr. Diggs that I was asked at the time we signed TW up if I would consider being a coach…I said NO…and growing up in the 80’s, watching all those afterschool specials - we all know NO means NO…I did say I would be happy to be a parent liason or "help out"…you know hand out snacks, use my Mean Mommy voice to keep a dozen little girls with bats in line, throw a ball or two during practice…but coach…no

You see I am NOT a leader – I don’t like making decisions – sure I am more than happy to put my 2 cents in – but actually LEADING…making the final decisions…having people count on me…ummm nope – BUT I am happy to be your “Everything else but lead” – ask me to do something – consider it done…need 27 cloud shapes cut out before morning – done…need snacks and drinks for the brownie meeting - done….need 320 names and addresses inputted into an excel spreadsheet and labels printed out – done and done….

Now add in the fact that right now it looks like I won’t even be able to make 2 of the games, including the all important 1st game (bad mommy I know…this is why some wonderful person invented the video recorder…lessens the guilt of parents everywhere – just like being there – albeit in the comfort of your own home, sitting in the smushy recliner, instead of sitting on a hard bench freezing your ass off) me as coach would not be a good idea…

So after talking with Mr. Diggs for a while – I AM NOT THE COACH…Whew…I do believe though in our discussion I may have offered up my next born to get out of that position…but whatever I’m not the coach…and in the end that is all that really matters

*names have been changed to protect the innocence (actually I forgot his name…)

No comments: