Monday, December 07, 2009

Blessings...so many ways to count

Last week I talked about how every week this December we were choosing a different charity that means something to our family to make a donation to. I will say I picked each charity back at Thanksgiving time...

The one I picked for this week is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My good friend C has CF. We spent many of our formative childhood years together, as our mothers are best friends. Throughout my childhood I watched as C spent time being "thumped" to loosen the mucous in his lungs...I visited him during his many hospitilizations...I partcipated in Swim-a-thons, Bowl-a-thons, You name it- a-thons to raise much needed funds for the CF Foundation for research and development...

Six years ago I attended a 30th birthday party for C. It was poignant because at one point there were questions if C would ever see his 20th birthday...

When I picked the CF Foundation a few weeks ago I choose this week to give to honor C - as his 36th birthday is tommorrow...the past few months there have been some speedbumps - he has been in and out of the hospital and at one point it was very touch and go - but he is a fighter and pulled through..

Last week...he received a wonderful gift...a new set of lungs.

He has a long stuggle in front of him - but he is a fighter...


We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
~Winston Churchill

No comments: